In this article you will learn how to remove dark spots caused by pimples at home.
Every person dreams of clear and glowing skin, regardless of gender. You cannot be in love with a rough, patchy and pimple scarred face. The most affected part of our body is the skin which is more likely to be prone to be dust and dirt. This further leads to spots, dust and unhealthy skin. Thus, it becomes mandatory to take special care of your skin and maintain hygiene.
Pimples are worse and terrible to the skin. The real fact is nothing is pimple and its scars are not new. Women especially have been dealing with this problem since forever! You cannot always pop in pills or use such medications that will leave it’s side effects behind. The best or safest way is to opt for home remedies to remove dark spots caused by pimples.
Why do dark spots appear after pimples?
The major concern after a pimple is fading out is leaving its mark behind. The dark spot is more like a spot. This dark spot is mainly due to the presence of melanin. It is that substance in the body that helps in giving the skin color.
The excessive production of melanin in one spot or the patch affected on the surface of the skin can lead to causing your skin becoming dark brown or even black.
Another thing to note down is there could be some hyperpigmentation acne lesions that sustain in the dermis layer of the skin. As they turn deeper, it leads to blue-gray in color or becomes completely permanent.
Do dark spots caused go away?
Well, the answer lies completely upon the type of dark spot on your skin. The scars differ and so should be the treatment for the same. You cannot comment on the treatment until the pimple is dried out.
Here are the different types of acne scars –
- Depressed acne/pimple scars occur due to the loss of collage as the skin is healing.
- Icepick scars look like small and deep holes in the skin.
- Boxcar scars look like oval or round areas on the depressed section with distinctive edges that look more like a pox.
- Rolling atrophic scars have wide depressions in the skin, more like an M shape.
As the skin heals from pimples, it tends to produce more collagen. This may lead to elevated scars, usually on the chest and back.
The inflammatory process of acne can result in hyperpigmentation. The skin goes darker to that section as it heals.
Not that pimple spots don’t fade away. The process is slow yet steady. It depends upon the remedy you opt for and how your skin responds to the same.
How long do dark spots take to fade?
The pimple pop up and drying out is a fast process. When it comes time for the spot to fade, it is time-consuming.
The spot is a few shades darker than your actual skin color. It usually takes 6 months to a year for it to fade away naturally.
But if the color sustains deep into your skin, it might take years to heal. The right treatment may help in healing faster.
Dark spots vs. scars
Also known as post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, dark spots are mainly a type of discoloration that occurs during a bad breakout.
Stressing your skin, pimples lead to over production of melanin. This leaves a dark mark or spot on the skin. It retains for long even though the pimple has healed.
Sun can also lead to having dark spots on the skin. Thus it becomes important to wear sunscreen.
Though it can be covered with makeup, it still leaves a dark spot on the face. They eventually go away in 6 months to 1 year.
Not everyone develops acne scars. It happens due to bad blemish that destroys the normal skin tissue.
Acting mostly like wounds on skin, pimples are severe. It responds due to too much or too little of the tissue getting damaged.
When tissue is produced too much, it creates a hypertrophic scar. Too little could lead to pitting of the skin. These scars leave an uneven texture. They are very hard to cover up and don’t go away on their own.
Home Remedy for Dark Spots Caused by Pimples
1. Iced green tea
Green tea is rich in antioxidants that help in fighting radicals damaging your skin. It does have antiseptic properties which boosts skin healing.
What to do?
- Steep green tea in warm water.
- Remove the bag and pour the content in a tray.
- Place it into the freezer.
- Form it in the form of ice cubes and apply it on your face everyday.
Do it twice a day for best results.
2. Baking soda and lemon juice
Baking soda helps in clearing your skin from within. It helps in the removal of bacteria and excessive oil from the deep layer.
Lemon, on the other hand, acts like a natural bleaching agent. It lightens the dark spots. Furthermore, it helps in removing dead skin cells giving a glowing skin.
What to do?
- Add 2 tbsp of baking soda and 1/4th cup of lemon juice to it.
- Make a thick paste and apply it to the affected area.
- Let it sit for 10 to 15 mins and scrub it away with lukewarm water.
- Apply moisturizer post this.
3. Green coconut water
Presence of cytokinins and antioxidants help in omitting acne, dull skin as well as boost scar healing.
Drinking the same water further helps in giving healthy and glowing skin.
What to do?
- Pour the coconut water in a bowl or glass.
- Dip a cotton and wipe it all over your face
- Let it sit for half an hour.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water.
For best results, you may drink the remaining water everyday.
4. Fenugreek and rosewater mask
Having antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, Fenugreek helps in the prevention against pimples. It further does have a good impact on blackheads as well as skin infections.
Rose water has a soothing effect on the skin. It helps the pores breathe free.
What to do?
- Soak a handful of the feed in water. Let it soak for 5 hours at least.
- Grind them to make a fine paste.
- Add a few drops of rose water to it.
- Apply the mask to the entire face or to the affected areas.
- Let it sit for sometime until dry.
- Scrub and rinse with cold water.
5. Aloe vera gel
The gel is useful in different ways to the skin. It has soothing properties to the skin. Furthermore, it helps in healing rashes, scars and pimples.
If you are suffering from skin discoloration, it makes your skin clear and smooth on daily use.
What to do?
- Extract the aloe vera gel from the plant.
- Apply the gel to your face.
- Keep massaging until it soaks in completely.
- Once it is absorbed, wash and pat dry.
6. Sandalwood and tulsi mask
Helps in tightening the pores, sandalwood helps in removing impurities. It further helps in excess oil reduction and inflammation too.
Tulsi does have medicinal properties. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties which helps in healing pimples faster.
What to do?
- Mix 2 tbsp of sandalwood powder, crushed Tulsi and a few drops of rose water.
- Make a thick paste and apply it to the affected areas or your entire face.
- Let it dry and then rinse with cold water.
7. Tea tree oil
One of the best ingredients for treating acne, it also helps in healing the dark spots on the skin caused by pimples.
It has both antiseptic and antibacterial properties for prevention against skin infection.
What to do?
- Mix tea tree oil in coconut or almond oil.
- Apply it to the affected areas of the skin. You can leave it overnight and wash your face with a cleanser the next morning.
8. Turmeric and clay mud
It is an ayurvedic medicinal ingredient that has been used since ages. Having anti-inflammatory properties, it helps in fading your dark spots easily.
What to do?
- Mix 1 tbsp of clay mud, half tbsp of turmeric and some drops of lemon juice with water.
- Create a thick paste and apply it to the affected areas.
- Let it sit for 20 mins and rinse with lukewarm water.
There are ample home remedies to choose from. You need to find the one that suits your skin. If you have dry skin try opting for hydrating solution based home remedies. Combination skin can go with any, it’s just you need to be cautious of not letting your skin dry post the treatment.