When you are on a mission to lose weight, breakfast is the first stepping stone to the success ladder. Starting your day with the right tone will help in letting you lose weight. Consuming the wrong food will simply enhance your food cravings. You are already a failure right at the start of the day.
A healthy and balanced breakfast will be covering all-in-one requirements for the body. There will be a blend of protein, complex carbohydrates, fiber as well as healthy fats that will be keeping you full throughout the day. If you are wondering what you should eat for breakfast to lose weight, we have got you covered. Let’s discuss this in detail and also find some of the best healthy recipes for weight loss.
Is Skipping breakfast GOOD FOR weight loss?
It is a myth that “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day”. A recent study has showcased that people who do not skip breakfast, do not overeat. There is no difference in weight, whether gain or loss if you are wondering to skip your first meal for the same.
You will be static. Rather people who have their breakfast tend to stay healthier. A properly balanced breakfast will lower the chances of heart disease, high blood pressure as well as high cholesterol.
How many calories should I eat for breakfast to lose weight?
Technically, there is no ideal calorie intake. It varies from person to person, completely depending on the total daily calorie needs. But if your goal is weight loss, according to research, study and recommendation, the aiming limit persists between 300 to 500 calories for breakfast. Most importantly, if you are counting calories, you should make sure that your breakfast is well-balanced and does have a high-quality meal.
What time should I eat breakfast for weight loss?
Being the most essential part of your meal, you should always consume a high-protein one between 7 am to 10 am. This helps in reducing the risk of fat accumulation in your body. It will also not make you feel hungry throughout the day. According to experts, having breakfast early in the morning helps in cutting off hunger.
Healthy Breakfast Ideas for Weight Loss
1. Egg, Tomato and Scallion Sandwich
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped scallions
- 1 large hard-boiled egg sliced into halves
- 1 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 thick sliced tomato
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Assemble the sandwich by placing all the ingredients on top of each other followed by the scallion.
- Top it with salt and pepper, spreading mayonnaise as the base of the bread.
2. Bacon, Egg and Potato Casserole
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 4 strips of turkey bacon chopped
- 1 teaspoon herb blend
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup of nonfat cottage cheese
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 cups shredded Yukon gold potatoes
- 9 cups baby kale
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a skillet, heat the oil and sauté onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, garlic, bacon and fine herbs. Make sure to fry it well until the onions turn translucent.
- In a large bowl, properly whisk the eggs, cottage cheese and cheddar cheese. Stir well the shredded potatoes in it.
- Now add the sautéed bacon and veggies.
- Bake all of it for 45 min until the casserole is firm.
- Serve it hot with plating of baby kale.
3. Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict
- 4 large eggs
- 2 English muffins
- 4 tbsp. cream cheese
- 3 ounces of smoked salmon
- 3 tsp. capers
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Kosher salt and black pepper
For Lemony Hollandaise Sauce
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter, use ghee for Whole30 + paleo
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by preparing the Hollandaise sauce. Mix and whisk the egg yolks and water in a small pan. Make sure that you are holding the pan 2 inches on a medium-high flame.
- Whisk it well until they are frothy and warm.
- Now add the butter to the pan and whisk again until the sauce is thick. You may add lemon juice along with salt and pepper. Set it aside.
- In a medium-sized pot, boil water. Lightly toast the English muffins with little butter or you may cut their sides.
- Place them on the plates, so that you can serve them hot with cream cheese. Divide the smoked salmon between them.
- When the water is boiled, reduce the heat until it simmers. Crack open the eggs one at a time and cook for 4 min. Remove them to a plate and spread them on the English muffin.
- Pour the sauce created over the eggs. Top it with a few slices of red onion, capers and black pepper.
4. Chai Baked Oatmeal
- Rolled oats
- Baking powder
- Kosher salt
- Ground Flaxseed
- Coconut milk
- Maple syrup and apple sauce
- Spices and seasoning
- Shredded coconut
- You can bake and reheat before you are serving
- Bake the oatmeal in the oven as suggested in the packaging. Now let it cool and cover the dish. Place it in the fridge 1-2 days before preparing.
- When you are ready to prepare the dish, you will have to mix all the ingredients, cover it with foil and reheat it in the oven at 350°F for 20 min.
- Prepare all without baking
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Let it sit on the counter until morning.
- In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients and keep them in the fridge for the next morning.
- Next day, mix the ingredients, pour the mixture into a flat pan and bake accordingly.
- In the morning, simply mix the wet and dry ingredients together, pour the oatmeal mixture into your prepared baking dish and bake as the recipe suggests.
5. Butternut Squash Protein Pancakes
- Egg whites
- Protein powder
- Butternut squash
- Ground flax seeds or chia seeds
- Seasoning – pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, powdered peanut butter, stevia
- Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- In a small bowl, mix egg whites, protein powder, squash, pumpkin pie, cinnamon and others until it is dissolved.
- If you have butternut squash, make use of the blender for making the mixture completely smooth.
- On a medium-sized pan, spray cooking oil heating it at medium flame. Lower heat is the door to pancakes.
- Pour the batter on the pan and cook until they form bubbles and the edges are crispy. Carefully flip the pancakes until done.
6. Sweet Potato and Spinach Quinoa Skillet
- Sweet Potato
- Red Onion and Garlic
- Red Bell Pepper
- Vegetable Broth
- Cook the veggies and potatoes until they are a little soft.
- Add spinach and let it shrivel
- Add quinoa along with the veggies now
- Put the veggie broth, and let the quinoa turn fluffy
- Top it with an egg
- Add quinoa and stir to disperse it with the veggies evenly.
- Add broth and cover, cooking until the broth is absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy
7. Crispy Hash browns
- 3 tbsp. virgin olive oil
- 1 pound russet baking potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and grate the potatoes with the help of a box grater
- Squeeze out as much moisture from the grated potatoes.
- You may even use a muslin cloth to drain out the moisture.
- Strain it in a towel.
- In a large frying pan, put 3 tbsp. virgin olive oil on medium-low flame. Put the grated potatoes in bunches making them half inch thick.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on it. Fry until golden brown. Serve hot with a poached egg.
8. Homemade Bircher Muesli
- ⅓ cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tbsp. raisins/cherries
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. peanut butter
- 2 tbsp apple sauce
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon almond butter or peanut butter
- Chopped pecans, walnuts or almonds
- Drizzle of honey or maple syrup, if desired
- In a jar, mix oats, raisins, cinnamon, peanut butter and apple sauce. Mix well. Add milk for proper combination.
- Grate the apple, stir the jar and put the apple into the oatmeal.
- Place the lid on the lar and keep it for at least 30 min. You are ready to serve it. You may even add fruits or fresh apples and milk.
9. Potato Fritters with Zucchini
- Potatoes and Zucchini
- Cheddar cheese
- Chopped onion
- Garlic powder
- Toppings of your choice
- Remove excess moisture from the shredded potatoes, onion as well as zucchini.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients well with shredded veggies.
- Scoop the fritter batter right into the frying pan. Keep it in medium flame.
- Cook until golden on both sides, flipping once.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve warm with greek yoghurt.
10. Bagel Egg in a Hole with Smashed Avocado
- 1 whole-grain bagel
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 small avocado
- Kosher salt plus additional to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- Chopped fresh herbs: cilantro parsley, chives, etc.
- Slice the bagel into halves. If the holes are small, make them bigger from the center. Spread butter on the bagel base.
- In a small bowl, mash well the avocado, salt, black pepper, and paprika. (if needed)
- Take a medium skillet, and place each half of the bagel towards the buttered side. Once cooked, put the avocado mash on it.
- Crack an egg in the center of the hole, then cover it with the lid.
- Cook for 3 min until the egg yolk turns soft. Shift it to a plate and serve it hot.
11. Egg Tortillas
Take a non-stick pan.
Whisk your eggs one at a time so that it is cooked well.
Heat the pan.
Let it warm and put little oil before adding the eggs.
Pour a thin layer of the whisked egg and let it cook for a minute before turning them.
Having a good balanced breakfast is the key to a healthy lifestyle. Do not overeat. That’s the first thing that you should keep in mind. You may segment small potions if you tend to feel hungry. Timings are the major thing that will give way to successful weight loss journey. You need to be aloof with the same.
What to drink before breakfast to lose weight?
There are many things that you can opt for. You may try a lemon ginger mix with lukewarm water. It aids in weight loss. You may even try cinnamon water. Or you may opt for detox water which can proceed the whole day long if you keep it prepared the previous day.
Are breakfast bars good for weight loss?
The answer is Yes and No! Granola bars are effective for weight loss. But if you consume too much of it in a day, it may also lead you to gain weight.
Can breakfast essentials help you lose weight?
Your average calorie intake should be between 25-30 percent. Studies show that intake of this particular quantity will help in losing weight. But yes, you need to keep juggling with the essentials. When you do that you will see the difference and will be able to make sure which one suits you the most.
Can I lose weight by eating only breakfast?
Different studies showcase different results. Having only breakfast and staying on liquid food will help in weight loss. But again, you will become weak if you don’t have any other food. The main agenda is weight loss, and becoming healthy and physically strong.